Name of the project: Youth Empowerment Socialisation -through- Culture (YES Culture)
What: Erasmus + Youth Exchange
Where: Rocca Priora, Italy
When: 17th-27th March
The youth exchange involved nine of our ESTEEM members along with other young people from one or more EU countries lasting seven days. The project involved young people from different countries meeting and living together to jointly carry out a work programme, designed and prepared by them before the exchange.
What is a youth exchange?
This involved a mix of workshops, exercises, debates, role-plays, simulations and outdoor activities. They allow young people to develop competences; discover
new cultures, habits and life-styles through peer learning; and strengthen
values like solidarity, democracy and friendship.
What did ESTEEM get up to?
The project put together 4 nationalities among them very different culturally (Italy, United Kingdom, Romania, and Portugal) with the intent to transform this cultural diversity into an opportunity.
– To improve the participant’s self-esteem, allowing young to measure their skills of integration and interaction skills
– To encourage young participant’s to develop critical thinking about media literacy and the power of communication
– To make friendships between young Europeans which go beyond the duration of the exchange
– Enhance intercultural dialogue through workshops and creative activities
– Improve intercultural skills, as well as increase the awareness about cultural issues, democratic values and environmental sustainability carrying out outdoor activities respecting the environment
– Improve linguistic skills through play games and peer-to-peer discussions
-Foster critical thinking and new ideas.
The ESTEEM group had a fantastic time, on next week’s blog we will interview one of our ESTEEM members who went on the trip to see what they learnt from the great opportunity.
At ESTEEM we are incredibly grateful to all the support we receive from organisations such as Erasmus+ as without this we wouldn’t be able to run such great opportunities for our young people!